LINTON DAILY CITIZEN
The Linton Daily Citizen is presently Linton’s only newspaper. At one time several newspapers were published in the city. A brief history reveals the development of the newspaper business in Linton.
In 1873 Linton was undergoing a transformation from a sleeping country farm village with a population of 200 to a small industrial city. The discovery of coal deposits, followed by the opening of mines on a commercial scale, had begun about 1881 and the consequent awakening brought the demands for a newspaper.
The Laborer’s Tribune
Linton’s first newspaper was started in May 1884 by Ebenezer Brooks Barlow. The weekly, seven-column folio was known as the Laborer’s Tribune. Barlow had moved his small printing plant from Hutsonville, Illinois. The plant was located in a part of a cooper’s shop on Northeast A Street. In 1888 or 1889 the Laborer’s Tribune went out of business, and Barlow moved his plant to Washington, Indiana, to start what later grew to be the present Washington Herald.
Linton’s second newspaper was started in 1886 by William D. Brown. He brought a newspaper plant, a little less elaborate than Barlow’s, from Fort Branch, Indiana, and began a weekly publication known as the Linton Enterprise. It was located on East Vincennes Street in part of an old warehouse, almost opposite but a little east of the present day public library. Because of financial problems, Brown sold the paper to Dr. J. Terhune, who was able to bring it back to solid financial ground due to his editorial and business skills.
The Linton Call
Terhune moved the newspaper plant to North Main Street and renamed it the Linton Call. In 1893 Terhune sold the paper to its chief writer, Joe E. Turner, and William M. Moss, who owned the Bloomfield Democrat. Later this newspaper was published daily and known as the Linton Daily Call.
The Linton Record
In 1898 William E. Naugle moved his plant from Clay City, Indiana, and began publication of the Linton Record, which was a weekly newspaper. For a brief time, a daily edition was also published
The Linton Daily Sentinel
For a short time the Linton Daily Sentinel was published by a Mr. Ritchie. Competition in the newspaper business was beginning to grow, forcing the smaller publications to close.
The Linton Citizen
Joe E. Turner sold his financial interest in the Linton Daily Call to William M. Moss and established the Linton Citizen. When the Linton Daily Sentinel closed, Turner purchased some of its equipment for use at his newspaper.
In 1908 Terhune, who had a financial interest in the Linton Citizen, sold his share to DeWitt Wessell, who remained with the publication until 1915. In 1909 this newspaper absorbed the Linton Daily Call and became known as the Linton Daily Citizen.
In 1921 Turner along with Sam D. Bryan took over the Linton Record and incorporated it into the Linton Daily Citizen. They continued uninterrupted publication of this paper until 1929, when the paper was sold to the Pulliam Newspaper Corporation. For about two years, this corporation published the paper under the management of John A. Watkins. In 1932 the property was re-acquired by Joe E. Turner.
Eskin C. Turner was publisher of the newspaper from May 1, 1937, until November 1, 1956, when the publication was purchased by Robert H. Haskell. Warren H. Onken became manager and publisher, and Turner became consultant.
Hammill Newspapers later purchased the paper from Haskell. This company also owned other papers in Indiana as well as Illinois, Oklahoma, and Florida. Jim Coudert was the editor, and Mitch Faulkner became the publisher. After Coudert, Morris Cox served as editor, followed by Kert Reyer and then Curt Brown.
Linton Daily Citizen
On September 24, 1981, the Linton Daily Citizen was purchased by Linton News, Inc. Ron Dietz moved to Linton from Chadron, Nebraska, to become president and publisher.
Assistant editor at that time was Ann Toney.
In February 1997, the newspaper was purchased by the Terre Haute Tribune. The Linton Daily Citizen is the survivor and composite of practically all the newspapers to have ever existed in Linton.
[Written May 1997]
"History Tells Us the Linton Daily Citizen Is the Only Newspaper to Survive Ventures in the City," Linton Daily Citizen.
"Newspapers in Linton," History of Greene County Indiana: 1885-1989. Dallas: Taylor Publishing Company, 1990.
Schneider, Heather Atkinson. "Ann Toney Is an Important Leader in the Community, Especially for Single Mothers," Linton Daily Citizen.