RED AND BLUE
The Red and Blue was one of the most well-known landmarks in Linton, Indiana. The building was located on the corner of North Main and Northwest H Streets. It stood across the street from the Linton-Stockton High School. This rectangular, one-room structure was made from red bricks with a flat roof and a full basement.
An RC sign with the words "Red and Blue" was suspended from a metal pole in the tree row. A Coca-Cola slogan could be seen painted on the north side of the building. Curved steps accented the front of the building. A circular ironwork emblem above the door had a intricate open pattern. Brick placement created an ornamental design across the top of the building.
Before Hazel Bedwell purchased the building in 1942, it was a local market. Thomas and Reel Grocery Store was the first-known name of this building, which opened in the 1920’s. Bedwell named her new business the Red and Blue after Linton’s school colors. Although its name was the Red and Blue, most people referred to it as Hazel’s.
Bedwell owned the Red and Blue for about 34 years. She was like a grandmother to the students that ate at her restaurant. She helped them with problems and even let students "run a tab," paying their bills at the end of the week. The Red and Blue had a booming business. In the 1960’s many students went there to eat lunch and visit. After a ball game or any school activity, almost everyone went to the Red and Blue to talk, eat, and celebrate if the school had won. During school hours, adults would go to the Red and Blue to eat.
Students had to have permission to go to the Red and Blue during study hall if they had at least a "C" average. A former student said, "It was great to be able to go to the Red and Blue during study hall." She enjoyed being able to get out of school, if only for an hour.
When Bedwell and her family owned the restaurant, the Red and Blue was the most popular place to eat lunch. Hazel Bedwell died in 1976, and the building stood vacant since shortly after her death. For the past few years this building had become an eye sore as it was falling apart from years of decay and neglect. A dangerous situation was developing as students continued to congregate around the building.
Kelly Fogelsong purchased the building, and he had it demolished in September 1996 by Max Bowersock. The debris was removed and dirt was hauled to fill in the basement. The ground was leveled and grass seed was sown. Fogelsong and his family have not made any decisions as to what will be done with the vacant lot.
[Written May 1997]
Long, Linda. "Linton Miner." September, 1996.
Personal interview with Peggy Miller on October, 1996, Switz City, Indiana.
Robbins, Gayle R. The Evening World, October, 1996.
Woodward, Natalee. "Demolition of Red and Blue Brings Mixed Emotions," Linton Daily Citizen, August 26, 1996, p. 1.