Linton-Stockton High School Home

HIGH SCHOOL FACADE

Johnson, Miller, and Miller were the architects, who designed the new high school.  The building reflected the influence of northern federalist architecture--a center focal point and the sides are mirrored images of one another.  School built during this time could be classified as "no--nonsense" schools.  The lines were clear and simple; everything served a purpose--in reducing noise and maintaining the building.  The entire building was sturdy--built to last.

Along with the new school came a new name.  Although the official name of the school was Linton-Stockton Joint High School (as this was a jointed effort between the city and the township), the words "Linton-Stockton High School was carved into the limestone over the entry way at the front of the school.  Perhaps the space available for the lettering was the determining factor, but whatever the reason, once the name was carved, it became known as Linton-Stockton High School.

The façade, or the front of the building, is the view that people remember after seeing this building. In keeping with the style of the building, the lines are actually quite simple and clean cut.  However, upon viewing the design closely, a great deal of art history becomes apparent.

The style used in the design of the façade is referred to as Gothic or Neo-Gothic.  This style was started in Northern France and spread throughout Europe between 1150 and 1400.  Gothic was a carved architecture--every stone was carved.

Perhaps the fact may seem unusual that the Notre-Dame Cathedral (a famous cathedral in Paris, France) and Linton-Stockton High School would share a similar architectural influence.  Perhaps the Gothic influence of the high school main entrance may be a hint to the reverence that was held for a high school education at that time in America's history.

At the time the Notre-Dame Cathedral was built, it was the cultural and social center in the community as well as the religious center.  When Linton-Stockton High School was built, it was the cultural and social center of the community as well as an educational center.  The new building contained a stage and gym where social events could be held.  In 1921, education was still a luxury.  Many young people may have had to quit school at the eighth grade level to help support their families.  Even if they could go on to school, their parents and grandparents were putting their faith into an educational system to give their children and grandchildren a better future.  This faith may have exhibited itself quite literally in the choice of architecture.  The new school building was not a church, but to the resident of Linton it may have been viewed as a “temple of learning.”  The fact that the new high school was located at the very end of Main Street and the focal point of the city showed the importance the citizens placed on education.

Similarities between the new high school building and Notre-Dame Cathedral include the following: 

·        Pointed arch variation on the front of the high school

·        Three main sections to the front

·        Lamps on platforms on high school and statues on the cathedral

·        Large central window on each building--rectangular on the high school and the rose window on the cathedral

·        Detail--Quatrefoil on the high school and Trefoil on Notre-Dame

·        Engaged thin stone arches on the high school and thin stone arches on Notre-Dame (Thin stone work that is linear is called tracery.)

·        The stone shields on the front of the high school reflect the time period of knights, swords, and shields.

·        These buildings were known for their great heights when compared to their surroundings.

The facade of the 1921 high school building was not lost.  Project architect Cheryl Whittenbarger for the new school building pointed out at the February 16, 1998 school board meeting that a replica of the original limestone used in the 1921 built current high school structure is being incorporated in the new building plans for the main academic area entrance.